All of them, those in power, and those who want the power, would pamper us, if we agreed to overlook their crookedness by wilfully restricting our activities.
Disclaimer: Dianetics and Scientology are trademarks of the Religious Technology Center (RTC.) These pages and their author are not connected with the Church of Scientology or RTC, or any other organization residing under their corporate umbrella.
This site is best viewed using a highly standards-compliant browser
Comments and analysis from various contributors on the right-hand margin.
Organization's primary exempt purpose
|To rid the world of drug abuse, crime, illiteracy and immorality.||
ABLE WINS (1989): "ABLE's purpose is 'to create a total revolution in the fields of drugs, crime and education by pushing LRH™ tech into wide, wide use.'
We will be doing this by promoting the incredible services and results of Narconon™, Applied Scholastics™, Criminon™ and The Way To Happiness Foundation." [Narconon Exposed]
Description of program service one
Assistance to Social Betterment Corporations
The mission of Association for Better Living and Education International (ABLE International) is to reverse the social decay that threatens our society by resolving the devastating core problems of drug addiction, crime, failing education, illiteracy and plummeting morality.
ABLE International carries out this mission by promoting and supporting the use of social betterment technologies developed by philosopher and humanitarian, L. Ron Hubbard. In particular, ABLE International addresses four fields of social betterment through the programs it supports:
In each of these fields, an organization affiliated with ABLE International utilizes Mr. Hubbard's technologies to effect social improvement. The assistance ABLE International gives these organizations is integral to their missions of social improvement.
The four key social betterment organizations that ABLE assists are as follows:
One of ABLE International's functions is to assist these social betterment organizations to acquire physical facilities to house their charitable and educational programs. In 2003, ABLE International had assisted Applied Scholastics in acquiring and renovating a property in St. Louis, Missouri, for the purpose of establishing its international headquarters and teacher training facility. In 2004, ABLE International assisted with further renovations to the facility so that Applied Scholastics International could more effectively carry out its purposes of training professional trainers, tutors and educational specialists as well as its marketing and publishing functions.
ABLE International and its continental offices further assisted Applied Scholastics International to achieve its objectives through the following actions:
- The government of Nigeria asked ABLE International for help to solve a severe problem they have with "Area Boys" (gangs). The Education Tax Fund of Nigeria, in conjunction with ABLE International, conducted a two-day "awareness conference" in February 2004, with educators, politicians, law enforcement, clergy and representatives of other related fields to promote all of ABLE's programs. Following this conference, a specialist team was sent to do a "needs assessment," which is an on-the-ground observation to determine the specific problems and to make recommendations on resolutions using the social betterment programs. The findings of the assessment were presented at a government-sponsored national conference held in Abuja, Nigeria, attended by top federal government officials and officials from all 36 states. This resulted in the Nigerian government providing funding for ABLE programs to address some of their most important social situations. In September 2004, teacher training was launched to educate over 100 teachers from all Nigerian states on Study Technology.
- ABLE International prepared and submitted an application for, and obtained, federal funding for educational programs in Memphis, Tennessee.
- ABLE International assisted with the arrival of the first four teachers and school administrators sent by the Ministry of Education in Palestine to the Applied Scholastics International teacher training campus in St. Louis, Missouri. Upon graduating and their return to Palestine, they trained the first 50 Palestinian school administrators, and plan to train 430 teachers in the near future.
- Study technology was introduced to Ethiopia with the first official teacher training programs implemented by a combined ABLE Europe and Applied Scholastics project.
- ABLE International was asked for help by other non-profit organizations that care for the well-being of people living in troubled areas. For example, "Wings of Refuge", a group that works with parents and children in the inner cities, areas where crime and drugs are high, came to ABLE to find out about social betterment programs that really work. ABLE then conducted training seminars in Study Technology and in communication skills for their counselors and caseworkers who work with foster children.
- Another example was "Head Start", a nationally funded program, members of which also attended ABLE for training in our social betterment methodologies.
ABLE International continued to assist The Way to Happiness Foundation International to distribute The Way to Happiness, a common sense guideline to a happier, more successful life and authored by L. Ron Hubbard. The book includes 21 precepts for successful daily living that have relevance for anyone, regardless of race, creed or ethnic background.
ABLE International and its continental offices also assisted The Way to Happiness Foundation International in accomplishing a resurgence of morality by:
- Getting the The Way to Happiness translated and published in 47 languages bringing the total to 85 languages, making the book broadly available to millions of people.
- Planning and marketing the distribution of more than 1.7 million copies of The Way to Happiness throughout the world.
- Continuing a promotional campaign for the distribution of The Way to Happiness using personalized covers. Corporations, individuals and celebrities design their own cover for the booklet and distribute these in the hundreds or thousands to their friends and customers. In 2004, custom covers were also printed for several National Football League Alumni and 13 celebrities for their use in promoting common-sense moral values.
- Arranging for the President of Venezuela to print his own custom cover edition of The Way to Happiness. As a follow-up, the President ordered his staff trained on this booklet and the Social Services Administration in that country also contracted to print 800,000 copies of the books for use with their employees and 1,200 employees were trained.
- Briefing the First Lady of Honduras on the ABLE social betterment programs. She then arranged to design and have printed her own custom cover of The Way to Happiness. Later in the year, the First Lady of Honduras sponsored the First Ladies' Conference of Central America and presented the ABLE programs to the attendees and gave each First Lady 150 copies of The Way to Happiness. ABLE then arranged for the First Lady of Panama and the First Lady of the Dominican Republic to print their own custom covers.
- Creating The Way to Happiness "Set a Good Example" float for the Hollywood Christmas Parade. The float, with Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca aboard, promoted the ideals of honesty, trust and religious tolerance and was viewed by millions of people watching the parade from the street and on TV stations throughout the U.S.A. this year.
- Continuing to supervise the Middle East peace and tolerance campaign resulting in over two million copies of The Way to Happiness booklets being distributed throughout Israel and Palestine to date, and more than 780 The Way to Happiness workshops being held in clubs and institutions as well as in both Arabic and Hebrew speaking schools, reaching over 30,000 teachers and students.
- Arranging for the Palestinian Ministry of Education to implement the use of The Way to Happiness in the Palestinian school counseling programs.
- Organizing, in conjunction with the NFL Alumni, who have endorsed The Way To Happiness, to create "Character Camps". Character education is a heatedly disputed subject in American Schools with many kids growing up without being taught the basic values a civilization is based on. During summer, sports camps are held where famous football coaches, like Mike Johnson from the Atlanta Falcons, volunteer to work with High School kids to train them in football. This year, the sports camps were combined with the Character Camps and the kids also learned precepts from The Way to Happiness.
ABLE International and its continental offices assisted Criminon International to accomplish the following:
- Further implementation of the Criminon criminal rehabilitation program in prisons in Indonesia under the Secretary General of the Ministry of Justice and the Director for Narcotics in Indonesia. This is a fully government-funded program. ABLE also published the Criminon program course materials for use in Indonesia.
- In Honduras, the delivery of a successful program in a women's prison which resulted in an invitation from the Director of Corrections to train counselors on the Criminon program for all 24 prisons in the country.
ABLE International and its continental offices assisted Narconon International to accomplish the following in achieving its purposes through the implementation of L. Ron Hubbard's drug rehabilitation and education methodologies:
- To open seven new drug rehabilitation and drug education groups around the world, including in Nevada, Houston, South Texas, Hastings (UK), Macedonia, Ghana and Nepal.
- To plan and implement outcome studies of the effectiveness of the Narconon drug rehabilitation program.
- To arrange for three members of the Jordanian Narcotics police to be trained at Narconon Arrowhead in Oklahoma in order to implement the Narconon drug rehabilitation program in Jordan.
- To brief New York City, City Councilwoman, Margarita Lopez, on the Narconon drug rehabilitation program. Following a tour through Narconon Arrowhead in Oklahoma, Ms. Lopez secured funding to train staff for a new Narconon Drug Rehabilitation center in her own district in lower Manhattan.
- To respond to a request from officials in Vietnam for help with resolving drug and alcohol abuse and to arrange for training in delivery of the Narconon drug rehabilitation program in the near future.
- To forward Narconon's purposes in Canada, through heading up the local government task force looking for solutions to drug abuse amongst Toronto's street people.
ABLE International also assisted the International Academy of Detoxification Specialists with establishment of their detoxification center in New York which has the purpose of detoxifying those emergency services employees adversely affected by the toxins from the destruction of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. Planning was done for opening other detoxification centers to cater to the need for detoxifying thousands of rescue workers. By year-end, more than 350 firefighters and other rescue workers as well as downtown New York residents had completed the program.
ABLE International further assisted the International Academy of Detoxification Specialists with a fundraising event held in New York with Tom Cruise which attracted major celebrity and corporate support, resulting in the opening of two new detoxification centers.
A study is being done on the New York detoxification program by the state University of New York with preliminary results showing scientific evidence that the program reduced levels of highly toxic chemicals such as Agent Orange.
ABLE International also assisted the Human Detoxification Services International (HDSI) which conducted a follow up study of those people who went through the detoxification program based on the research of L. Ron Hubbard, 10 years ago following the Chernobyl disaster in Russia. At the time, the First Radiological Institute of Russia in Obninsk near Moscow cooperated with HDSI and conducted several studies on the effects the program had on men, women, and children that had been exposed to high levels of radiation from the Chernobyl disaster and were adversely affected by it. The study done then showed unequivocally that the detoxification program improved all of the 32 measured bodily functions. Now, 10 years later, the men and women have been back in the radioactive areas living a "normal" life, the children grew up and are young adults, also living in still radioactive contaminated areas but tested as extraordinarily healthy, unlike others who received no treatment.
Why is ABLE Int listing as a service accomplishment that it "assisted the International Academy of Detoxification Specialists with the expansion of their detoxification centers in New York. These centers have the purpose of detoxifying those emergency services employees adversely affected by the toxins from the destruction of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001."
What does that have to do with drug addiction, crime, illiteracy or morality? Why on earth is ABLE supporting this group? — maggie [ref]
Description of program service two
Materials Compilations and Publications
An important part of ABLE International's mission includes the compilation, translation, publication and broad distribution of books and other materials containing the social betterment technologies developed by L. Ron Hubbard. These include materials for the general public to train on in order to improve some aspect of their lives, as well as the courses and course materials necessary to train staff of new and existing social betterment groups.
ABLE International assisted The Way to Happiness Foundation International in translation and publication of the following books, courses and materials:
- The Way to Happiness Business Workshop, The Way to Happiness Kid's Workshop, How to Start a The Way to Happiness Activity, How to Distribute The Way to Happiness Booklet, How to Distribute The Way to Happiness Booklet, How to Distribute The Way to Happiness Kit
- The Way to Happiness Elementary School Lesson Plans in Spanish, and The Way to Happiness Kid's Activity Book in Hungarian, Spanish and Swedish
- The Way to Happiness was translated into the following 47 languages which were released during 2004: Afrikaans, Georgian, Chechen, Bosnian, Thai, Estonian, Brazilian Portuguese, Greek, Hungarian, Tadjik, Maldovian, Catalan, Norwegian, Nepalese, Zulu, Xhosa, Kazakh, Arabic, Hebrew, Basque, Icelandic, Hindi, Azeri, Punjabi, Urdu, Kannada, Hausa, Yaruba, Mongolian, Ibo, Nigerian-Pidgin, Bengali, Rwandan, Kirundi, Lakskiy, Galician, Uzbek, Quechua, Siswati, Malaysian Tamil, Swahili (Tanzanian version), Samoan, Ndebele, Somali, Northern Sotho and Malagasy.
ABLE International assisted Narconon International by compiling and publishing the following books, courses and materials:
- Narconon Drug Rehabilitation Program materials consisting of ten books covering each step of the Narconon program
- Narconon Detoxification Picture Book for use in Nigeria.
ABLE International assisted Applied Scholastics International in its compilation of the following books, courses and other materials:
- Study and Training
Tools for Professionals, Ups and Downs in Life
Course, Conditions in Life Course, Study
Tools for College Success, Advanced Study Tools
for Educators, Advanced Communications Skills,
- The following materials for delivery of English as a Second Language (ESL): Introductory ESL Lecture, Teacher Training Course, six Lesson Plans and a DVD, Illustrated Small Words Glossary, Grammar Glossary, Seminar on the Three Barriers to Study, as well as supplemental materials (drills, forms, stories, and posters).
- Communication Course and Study Course for use in Nigeria.
- Basic Study Manual in Dutch
ABLE International assisted Criminon International by compiling and publishing the following books, courses and other materials for use by Criminon in delivering the Criminon correspondence and prison on-site programs or starting up a Criminon activity:
- The Way to Happiness Course, Learning Skills Course, Addiction Course, Parenting Skills Course, Ups and Downs Course, Conditions in Life Course, The Way to Happiness Correspondence Course and Supervisor Course
- Criminon Starter Kit and How to Start a Criminon Activity
- Criminon Supervisor Grading Materials
- Communication Course, Learning Improvement Course, Ups and Downs in Life Course, and The Way to Happiness Course for use by Criminon in Indonesia.
Description of program service three
Public Information on the Solution to Societal Ills
ABLE International conducts public awareness campaigns to focus on problem areas in society and to highlight the solutions to these problems provided by the affiliated programs that it supports and assists.
During 2004, in addition to the promotion of the social betterment programs through its website, ABLE International sent out over quarter of a million magazines, promotional fliers and newsletters to the general public and to leaders in the fields of education, drug rehabilitation, and moral improvement. Through its continental offices, ABLE sent out an additional two million promotional items, making known the solutions available to resolve these major societal ills.
Another edition of ABLE International's Solutions Magazine was printed and published in 2004, as well as brochures on the ABLE, Narconon, Applied Scholastics, Criminon and The Way to Happiness social betterment programs, and each publication was distributed to many thousands of people.
ABLE International also had a booth at the LA Times Festival of Books at which many of the social betterment materials were promoted and sold.
ABLE International has produced large visual displays illustrating the problems society faces in the 21st century — and the effectiveness of ABLE's programs through the application of L. Ron Hubbard's breakthrough technologies. The displays inform visitors about the results of ABLE's programs and how to implement these programs in their own areas. This year, over 7,600 people were toured through these displays, including the general public, civic and community leaders, religious leaders, leaders of governments, such as the advisor to the President of Haiti and the Undersecretary of the Ugandan Embassy to the US, and more than 200 celebrities and their associates who were briefed on the ABLE social betterment programs, many of whom have since been actively supporting the promotion and implementation of these programs.
The President ABLE International's office reached 140 million listeners through radio interviews about the use of ABLE's social betterment programs, including their applicability in the field of sports.