All of them, those in power, and those who want the power, would pamper us, if we agreed to overlook their crookedness by wilfully restricting our activities.
Disclaimer: Dianetics and Scientology are trademarks of the Religious Technology Center (RTC.) These pages and their author are not connected with the Church of Scientology or RTC, or any other organization residing under their corporate umbrella.
This site is best viewed using a highly standards-compliant browser
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
LA VENDA VAN
AFFIDAVIT OF CAROL GARRITY
I, Carol Garrity, being first duly sworn, depose and say:
1. I was a member of the Church of Scientology from April 1975 through July 1980 and during that time I became a staff member and worked full time for the Scientology Organization from August 1976 through July 1980.
2. Between November 1978 and July 1980 I was a member of the "Guardian's Office" of the Church of Scientology. The Guardian's Office, more commonly referred to as the "G.O." by Scientologists, is responsible for intelligence gathering, covert operations and activities, spying and public relations. The Guardian's Office administers "front" groups such as schools and drug programs which are designed to make money. I have personal knowledge of the foregoing matters and participated in various "operations" conducted by the G.O."
3. The Guardian's Office headquarters in the United States is in California. However, the Guardian's Office has the power to go into a local Scientology Church and literally take over any section of it or the entire local church if necessary. This is covered in a policy letter written by L. Ron Hubbard, entitled "The Guardian". There is another G.O. headquarters at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida.
4. The Guardian's Office activities are conducted pursuant to various Scientology policies including "Fair Game Doctrine" which states: "Fair Game, may be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed."
5. I have personal knowledge that the Scientology organization has actively and covertly conducted operations against Attorney Michael Flynn in an attempt to get him disbarred and to destroy him and thereby eliminate him as a representative of those individuals victimized by the Scientology organization. Attorney Flynn was classified as a top "Enemy" of the Church of Scientology and I was sent numerous "orders" to "attack" him in the news media with a "black PR" campaign.
6. One such operation occurred between January and July 1980, when the Guardian's Office conducted a series of covert operations to infiltrate the law office of Michael J. Flynn by placing a "plant" whose code name was "Oscar" and whose real name was William Broderick. I am aware that other "operations" were proceeding against Attorney Flynn to get someone "inside" his office.
7. Prior to July 18, 1980, as an Assistant Guardian, I had numerous conversations with Attorney Steven Burris in Las Vegas, NV, who represents the Church of Scientology there. Conversations related to the intent of the Church to find some basis to bring law suits against Michael Flynn and those in his office and also law suits against LaVenda Van Schaick, Ernest and Dell Hartwell and Eddie Walters. These lawsuits were to be brought against these people pursuant to the policy of the Church of Scientology which states that lawsuits are to be used to harass and attack people who seek to expose Scientology.
8. In one of my conversations with Attorney Burris in July 1980, he asked me to sign an affidavit in connection with a proposed suit against Van Schaick, the Hartwells and Kevin Flynn. I told him that I could not verify the information in the affidavit. Attorney Burris told me that he was aware of the covert agent used by the Church of Scientology. Attorney Burris asked me if I was "compelled to tell the truth" in the affidavit. I told Attorney Burris that I had always told the truth and he said that he would get someone else for the affidavit.
9. The Guardian's Office devised a covert operation to stop Attorney Flynn's client, LaVenda Van Schaick, from speaking out against the Scientology organization. The program was code named "Shake and Bake" and pursuant to the program, G.O. agents, including Gary Klinger, were sent to Massachusetts to interrogate Ms. Van Schaick and to use various means to have her divorce her husband and fire Attorney Flynn, including the use of her auditing information.
10. The Guardian's Office perused Ms. Van Schaick's auditing files, which contained the most personal and intimate details of her life, and extracted confidential disclosures for the purpose of using it against her in "Operation Shake and Bake".
11. The practice of reviewing confidential auditing files and extracting private and intimate details of an individual's life is a common Scientology practice. The data gleaned from an unsuspecting individual's file is commonly transmitted to "Flag" in Clearwater, Florida and to the California headquarters for extortion and blackmail. This practice occurs regularly. I have personal knowledge of auditing information being sent to Clearwater and California for this purpose.
12. On one specific occasion, I received a Guardian's Office order concerning Tonja Burden's auditing information. I was sent from the Guardian Office's main headquarters in Los Angeles, a document from Tonja's preclear folder called a "Wants Handled" list. This was a list of things that Tonja wished to improve herself with through auditing. I was also sent a list of "overts" and "withholds" which means transgressions against L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology, etc. The purpose of a person writing their "wrongs" is the general concept of confession. This list is only to be used to help the person face their errors, wrongs, etc. and thereby free the person by having "confessed". These lists are to be held in strict confidence. I was sent a huge stack of Tonja's "overts and withholds" write-ups to take to the Review Journal newspaper, along with the auditing list from her preclear folder. The purpose of the above orders were to disgrace, embarrass, humiliate Tonja and make her lose her credibility with the public and the press, as she had filed a lawsuit against Hubbard and Scientology and according to Scientology policy, anyone who does this is an evil person called a "suppressive person" and must be dealt with accordingly. I carried out my orders, however, her auditing information was not printed in the papers, as the news media thought it was a disgusting breach of privacy, which it was.
13. When I was first introduced to "auditing" or counselling in the Church of Scientology, I was told that the information or "confessions" I gave to my auditor would be held in strict confidence and that the only persons who had access to my auditing files were the auditor and the "case supervisor" - the person in Scientology who "programmed" the cases and decided what auditing the person should have and buy. This representation is made to anyone who undertakes "auditing" and it is shown to them in writing in the "Auditor's Code".
14. After I joined staff at the Las Vegas Organization, I had many occasions to witness that many other people within Scientology had access to the auditing files. These people could go to the technical division and take the folders and read them and study them and send information from the folders to other Scientology executives if they were ordered to, or chose to do so. This included information being sent to the Church of Scientology of California in Clearwater, which was regularly done. It was a regular practice in the Church of Scientology that the Guardian's Office had access to any person's auditing folders at any time the G.O. chose to take them.
15. The Guardian's Offices throughout the United States including Clearwater, Florida are run by the United States Guardian's Office which is part of the Church of Scientology of California. The top executives and management are at the Church of Scientology of California, both in Clearwater, Florida and Los Angeles, California.
16. The routine use and circulation of auditing information is done throughout the United States and outer "missions" send information from a person's auditing folders to the nearest "Class 40rg" for ethics use or intelligence use in the Guardian Office intelligence files.
17. When "missionaires" from the Church of Scientology of California would come to Nevada, we were under instructions to give them full back-up and cooperation and this included revealing to them personal information about Scientologists and their auditing folders and intelligence folders, if needed and requested.
18. During executive meetings at the Church of Scientology, on many occasions the executives would sit and discuss information about staff members and public-paying person's auditing information.
19. While on staff in the organization, I was in charge of the division that sold all the auditing and training and books and I was routinely given information from people's auditing folders so that I could get them to buy more and more auditing. This was a standard practice and this information would also be given to "indicate" to the potential buyer what auditing they should buy next, to "cure" whatever "insanity" it was they were trying to get help with.
20. All of the above actions uniformly betray the trust that a person gives to Scientology and their auditor when getting auditing, and this creates a terrible fear about the possibility of leaving Scientology and having your innermost thoughts, feelings, desires, actions about yourself and others revealed to anyone including your parents, spouse, relatives and the news media.
21. When I thought of leaving Scientology after I realized I had been tricked and lied to, these actions had me terribly fearful that this type of blackmail would be inflicted on me.
22. I left the Church of Scientology on July 18, 1980 after being a staff member for approximately four years. I had become upset and in fear when I learned that the top leaders of Scientology had been convicted of felonies in late 1979 and I did not agree with their conduct of breaking and entering, harassing enemies of the Church, spying on ex-members and other enemies of the Church and trying to infiltrate enemies and all the other unlawful and underhanded conduct conducted by the Church.
23. I had also been told that the alleged crimes top Church leaders had committed were false and that the people were innocent and being framed and suffering from "religious persecution". It was uniformly stated to all Church members that the Church never broke the law and didn't harass critics or enemies.
24. I hired an attorney in Las Vegas, Nevada to represent me and my husband when we left Scientology so that we would have in writing and on record the exact date we left and also to demand the unused monies on account at the various organizations. My attorney had a letter hand-delivered to the Church of Scientology of Nevada on July 21, 1981 advising them of our intentions and that any attempt to contact us would result in a restraining order as we wanted no contact from any of them.
25. On day later, Maddie Reese, a top Guardian's Office staff member from Los Angeles called Jane Peterson's house, another former G.O. member, asking for me. Jane advised her that I was not taking any calls from any of them and not to call back.
26. I began to receive telephone calls at all hours of the day and night with people either being silent or hanging up.
27. My husband and I then received a new unlisted telephone number and shortly thereafter, the calls began again. Sometimes whoever was calling would ask for a person unknown to me and I would advise them of that and they would call back over and over and ask for the person.
28. My husband and I moved to a house on February 1, 1981 and received a listed number and the calls continued.
29. In mid-March, 1981 I went home to discover my home had been entered, every door in the house opened and my dog had been put outside in the backyard. The sliding glass screen door had been pulled off and was laying across the porch. The police came and could not find a forced entry and a report was not filed.
30. My husband and I filed a complaint against the Church of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard and Mary Sue Hubbard in Federal Court in Los Angeles on July 1, 1981.
31. I arrived home after work on my wedding anniversary, July 21, 1981, to find that my home had been broken into and my husband's sports bike had been stolen. Said bike was valued of approximately $2,000.00. The fingerprint people could find no prints other than one partial footprint in the backyard and that an oily substance had been sprayed on the windows, sliding glass door and door knobs to apparently cover prints. A few days later we discovered my husband's stereo turntable missing and again found the oily substance.
32. I began receiving phone calls from a girl asking "are your parents there"? I would say she had the wrong number but she would continue to call back. This was very upsetting as I have never recovered from my parents' deaths and this was one of the main things Scientology was supposed to help me with in my auditing (counselling). Later the same girl started calling and asking for my dad. Finding my father dead and the related circumstances of his illness and his death has always been very hard for me to accept and I revealed this whole situation over and over in my auditing in Scientology.
33. To this day I still receive calls where the person either remains silent or hangs up when I answer. These seem to occur shortly after I arrive home from work, even after I work overtime.
34. On July 28, 1981, exactly one week after the July 21, 1981 break-in, I went home to find my home had been broken into again. This time it was totally ransacked, drawers dumped, closets gone through and basically a total mess. This time the back bedroom window had been broken out. We could find nothing stolen on this occasion. The same officer who had arrived the other two times came again this time and filed a police report.
35. On September 29, 1981, again I went home to find that my home had been broken into. The side door screen had been ripped out and the window opened and this was the point of entry. This time all my jewelry, wedding rings, keepsakes from my mother and father, my father's keepsakes from the war and college were all stolen. My husband's camera equipment was stolen along with some money and other things. The house had been totally and completely ransacked, every drawer, box, closet in the house dumped on the floor. The back rooms were also ransacked and everything dumped. My briefcase with all of my Scientology papers and correspondence from my attorneys, lawsuit information had been gone through. The fingerprint people found no prints, however, did take pictures of the rooms and the briefcase. I have talked to my neighbors and this is not happening to them. The police have no leads and none of the stolen goods have shown up around town that they know of. The police do not know of another house on our block that has been broken and entered this many times in this short a time period. The previous owner of the house resided there for approximately twelve (12) years with only one minor occurrence. My husband and I have lost money due to insufficient insurance coverage on the jewelry which we were not aware of and we have had to invest in solid doors, bolt locks and other locks and have ordered iron bars for every window in the house. The last three break-ins have all occurred on a Tuesday, starting with our wedding anniversary.
36. Nothing like this ever happened to me before I left Scientology in July 1980.
37. The psychological damage done to me while in Scientology combined with the above harassment, break-ins, and strange occurrences have caused great mental stress and upset.
38. My friend, Jane Peterson, who was also a Guardian Office staff member and left Scientology, has received numerous death threats, both oral and written, since she left Scientology and this is very upsetting and frightening to me also.
39. I am aware that many similar operations were conducted against Tonja Burden while I was working for the G.O. I am aware that a G.O. agent, Bill Broderick was placed in a position to spy on Tonja Burden and that the G.O. acquired an apartment in Tonja Burden's apartment building to spy on her and harass her. This is common practice of the G.O. against its enemies.
Signed under the pains and penalties of perjury this 21st day of May, 1982.
SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN TO BEFORE ME THIS 21ST DAY OF MAY, 1982.
(CARRIE B. STEWART)