All of them, those in power, and those who want the power, would pamper us, if we agreed to overlook their crookedness by wilfully restricting our activities.
Disclaimer: Dianetics and Scientology are trademarks of the Religious Technology Center (RTC.) These pages and their author are not connected with the Church of Scientology or RTC, or any other organization residing under their corporate umbrella.
This site is best viewed using a highly standards-compliant browser
DECLARATION OF EDMOND HATTAWAY
I, Edmond Hattaway, declare as follows:
1. I am over the age of l8 years.
2. The statements herein are of my own personal knowledge and if called up as a witness, I can testify competently thereto.
3. It has taken me 7 years to sort through the chain of incredible lies and deceit that duped me out of a fortune and nearly ruined the lives of my family and me. I have decided to come out and state for the record the truth about our financial ruin, all mind you, at the hands of Scientology.
4. I was introduced to LRH technology through the single most lucrative dissemination line for the cult: WISE. This group, which touts itself as a business consulting organization, focuses its resources primarily on doctors. Particularly chiropractors and dentists.
5. As a 3rd year chiropractic student, I was introduced to WISE by way of a chiropractic "opinion leader" who taught seminars to students on a particular treatment technique. This guy was held in such high esteem that virtually anything he said was taken to heart by the students. He personally told me that I should read dianetics.
6. I did and then began to seek out other successful chiropractors who were using "the tech". I found several in my local area who were with a Clearwater-based WlSE organization known as David Singer Enterprises.
7. It should be stated that this group and Sterling Management (which caters primarily to dentists) were at that time, and most probably still are today, the largest FSM (Field Staff Member) organizations in all of scientology. FSM organizations disseminate Scientology to their public and receive a 10% commission for the services that their recruits pay for.
8. The trap I fell into personally, professionally and financially was not set by some wide-eyed cult follower with a message about zenu the intergalactic warlord. I stepped into the mess by following doctors who I saw as successful and as leaders in the field of chiropractic, dentistry and business management!
10. I was introduced to a local mission. Then to a larger org. I was indoctrinated into the concept that if I went "clear" I would be more successful, etc. I ventured on this journey. Borrowing money from my college funds and bank to pursue that self-improvement ideal that would ultimately make me successful.
11. Looking back, I guess I was prime for this. After all, what is college but an investment in personal improvement that will hopefully lead to greater success in life? So, I fell for the idea that, since I had no real business training, I should listen to what these other successful people had to say. I went into hock, in the coming three years as I was beginning my career, to go up the Bridge.
12. At the time, I was an associate doctor with another scientologist-chiropractor. He and I became the best of friends and he reinforced my commitment to go up the bridge.
13. By my third year in practice, I was already $20,000 in additional debt, with nothing to really show for it. I then purchased my own practice and began working out of the financial hole I had been digging for three years. I was nearly out of debt when I started getting reged for the OT levels.
14. It was explained to me that if I really wanted to become free and able, I would have to address this OT case. I was also introduced to the "L" rundowns. These were touted as super powerful OT boosters that would bring out super OT abilities and expand one's "havingness" (a term which translated into more of everything in life-money, relationship, productive capacity, etc.)
15. I started sending a "flow" to FSO of $500 to $1000 per week toward my OT levels. I then began to put plans into the works to leave my office and stay at FSO for between 4 and 6 weeks to get onto my OT levels. I took out a second mortgage. I did a lease buy-back on my office equipment. I maxed out all 4 of my credit cards. I borrowed money on some of my father's property. This was all encouraged as "just a drop in the bucket", after all my super-duper OT abilities were going to create such abundance in my life-happiness, productivity, financial success, etc.
16. I put over $50,000 into Flag's coffers for these services in 1994 alone. Totalling nearly $70,000 since 1989.
17. I started my OT preps and Solo course at FSO. My business immediately began to fall apart. I opted at that point to leave and handle my business. It was then suggested by the reg that I should get my "L's" instead.
18. I did L-11, the new life rundown and L-12 the OT executive rundown. While at FSO I felt great! My business was in utter ruin at home. I left FSO with the idea that with all my OT ability now unleashed; I would just turn that office around and soar to highest-ever levels of productivity, income and happiness in life!
19. The exact opposite occurred. The practice continued to crash. I went back to Flag for 4 different reviews in the following 4 months. Things kept getting worse. My wife and I decided to just stay away for awhile and see how things went. We couldn't afford to "fix" me anymore. We had to hang in there and make things happen.
20. The only problem was MY NEW LIFE. I was stressed out, burned out and under EXTREME financial duress from the creditors who bad loaned me money to buy my super OT abilities! I fell 6 months behind on my mortgage(s), my office rent, my equipment lease and my van. Over the next two years I accumulated over $30,000 in back taxes. We were drowning in debt. Even with all my super-duper OT ability (NOT!) I was incapable of producing at my previous level!
21. In 1997, within a one-week time span, we gave up our home and our office and all of our equipment and moved into a Suburban Lodge with my wife and three small children Now isn't THAT OT!
22. We couldn't even afford to stay at the inn so we talked my parents into taking us in. We told them that we bad made some bad investments (if they only knew!) Here I was, in my mid thirties, a (formerly) successful chiropractor with a wife and three children, living with his parents. Boy, these OT abilities are something, wouldn't you say?
23. My parents said we could build out an apartment in their basement and live there until we got back on our feet. It is now 2001 (4 years later). We are still in the basement. Our OT abilities are really bursting at the seams!
24. I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America and the state of Georgia the foregoing is true and correct.
Executed in Douglas, Georgia this 26th of February 2001.
Edmond E. Hattaway